Total Pageviews

Getting Started

I decided to create this blog, to inform not only myself , but others about Aromatherapy, Herbs, Meditation, etc., and .....well, just to get on the right track.

Come and join me on this journey. To get back the health, spirit and well-being we once had
......or, that we want.

Together we can do many things.

Any suggestions you may have on articles, products, aromatherapy, herbs, meditation, relaxation, exercise, etc...please let me know so I can post them to share together, with you and others.

Have a blessed day,

Laurie




MORE PAGES TO READ


Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Best To Have On Hand

Did you know the most important essential oils to have on hand are the following:

  • Chamomile
  • Clove
  • Eucalyptus
  • Geranium 
  • Lavender
  • Lemon
  • Peppermint
  • Tea Tree
  • Thyme
My personal favorites to always have on hand are: Lavender, Tea Tree, Chamomile and Rosemary.

Lavender: 


A must have for your home - so many good uses. You may or may not be aware lavender is effective in treating burns and/or scalds.  It is also a natural antibiotic, antiseptic, antidepressant, sedative and detoxifies. All these components allow it to heal and help in preventing scaring when used on burns. 


It also stimulates the immune system and contributes to the healing process by stimulating the cells of a wound helping it to regenerate more quickly.  Even though it's not known specifically as a circulatory stimulant, it certainly seems to calm the effects of clinical shock and, as a mood tonic.  Because of its relaxing fragrance, it is used often in pillow sachets to help with sleep, bathes to soothe the mind and relax the body, foot messages to relax the feet.  It has many, many beneficial uses.


Tea Tree: 


I use this on just about anything.  A friend of mind introduced this to me many years ago in a gel form... I burned myself one time, and she gave me some to use...it relieved the burn and I had no scaring.  GREAT for burns, cuts, bites, any skins issues. 


I did a little research on it and found it is thought to be 100 times more powerful than carbolic acid, and yet is is non-poisonous to humans!  Thank goodness are I would not be here to write this.  I have even used this on my gums to help heal them, when my dentist said I had a mild case of gingivitis.  I would not suggest ingesting though.  I would dip a Q-tip in the tea tree oil, rub it on my gums and teeth.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then rinse my mouth and then brush my teeth as normal. This helped my gums heal faster.


Back to its history ~ This tree found in Australia has been used by the Aborigines in their medications for centuries.  It has impressive antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.....which allows it to be useful in a range of conditions. It is used for many type of infections - here are a few: ring-worm, acne, sunburn, athlete's foot, toothache, earache and pyorrhea amongst other things.  It's a must have in your medicine cabinet!


Chamomile: 


Let me first start by saying there are different types of chamomile.  I like the sweeter scent of Roman Chamomile, German Chamomile is a good selection as well.  Buyer beware of  Chamomile Maroc - it is not a true chamomile and cannot be used as such.


Here are its uses: teething trouble, used in bathes to calm nerves (sometimes I add a few drops of the Roman Chamomile and Lavender essential oils to a hot bath......ah-h-h-h-h relaxing - about 3 drops of each!)  Chamomile can also be used to soothe burns, sunburn, psoriasis, eczema, asthma, and hay fever and depressive states.  It also helps with diarrhea, sprains and strains, nausea, fever and nervous conditions.  


Rosemary:


This oil is popular for its physical and mental stimulant, which makes it a good oil to use in the morning.  Used in Shampoos, my favorite (Rosemary & Peppermint) to wake you up and lift your spirits.  It has a tingling sensation on the scalp, so once you massage your head and rinse under warm water, the tingling and scent just WOW make my morning!  Also, rubbing a little rosemary oil under the nose is said to help jog the memory by keeping you focused.


It is also great for a bath after a long tiring day.  Rosemary also has antiseptic properties, so it can be used in the treatment of muscular sprains, arthritis, rheumatism, depression, fatigue, memory loss, migraine/headaches (by massaging on the temples) coughs, flu and diabetes.  Can be used in many beauty treatments - hair care, acne and some cellulite remedies.   I actually added a few drops to my nightly face cream.


So, I have listed a few things about my favorite essential oils that I hope have interested you into trying.  My favorite brand is Aura Cacia - They are 100% essential oils.  I am not finished listing all the many uses of these fabulous....but time is short, so I will write more on their other uses....in time.  


Until then......... May many blessings come your way







No comments:

Post a Comment