Total Pageviews

Getting Started

I decided to create this blog, to inform not only myself , but others about Aromatherapy, Herbs, Meditation, etc., and .....well, just to get on the right track.

Come and join me on this journey. To get back the health, spirit and well-being we once had
......or, that we want.

Together we can do many things.

Any suggestions you may have on articles, products, aromatherapy, herbs, meditation, relaxation, exercise, etc...please let me know so I can post them to share together, with you and others.

Have a blessed day,

Laurie




MORE PAGES TO READ


Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Saturday, July 30, 2011

While Out - Watch Your Step

I promised you an update on the walk and jog.......unfortunately this is not an update, but more of an alert!

Here goes:

Well, the last few days we have been doing our normal 3 mile walk late in the evening; It is a lot cooler and not as humid. However, the air quality has been so thick, we have not started our walk for 1 min., then jog for 1 min.  -  We are strictly doing a fast pace walk.  Don't want to collapse on the sidewalk (just kidding).  

Anyway, there is a section of the sidewalk we have no choice but to jog through because the grass is so high and hangs over the sidewalk with other weeds and vines that it makes your legs itchy.  And, since I found a copperhead snake in our backyard about a week ago - well, my fear of stepping on a snake in tall grass has peaked.

Actual Copperhead Snake Found In Our Backyard

I must admit, I never truly had a fear of snakes - because we were taught if you see one and you are able to slowly turn and walk away......do it!   "Many have said, the best snake is a dead snake!"  I say, "Any snake is a mistake, so steer clear of them all!"


Well, back to the copperhead Snake - just a little information to share after doing a little research on them.

Because they are common in forested habitats and are well-camouflaged, copperheads are responsible for the majority of the snakebites in the Southeast each year. Luckily, copperhead venom is not very potent and deaths from copperhead bites are exceedingly rare....but do occur. Most snake bites occur when someone tries to kill or harass a snake, so the best way to avoid a bite is to leave any snake you find alone.

FYI - Copperheads can be found during the day or night, but forage out primarily after dark during the hotter parts of the season. Also, since they mate in the spring, this is the time males move long distances in search of females. So,  if you do go walking or hiking in tall grassy areas or off trail, it may be wise to bring a walking stick as your guide.  If something is lurking in the bush, your walking stick may take the strike before you do.

Strangely enough as I am in the works of writing this article - my neighbor explains to me how a friend of hers - knows a woman whose daughter was bit by a copperhead about 2 weeks ago while getting into her car.  It seems she was visiting a friend and when she decided to leave, she was getting her keys to unlock the door and the snake was under her car.  Unknown to her, when her foot was in range the copperhead lashed out and bit her on the foot.  She was taken to the hospital, and has survived.  Unfortunately, she did have a toe removed and is going through therapy.

Working in my garden will never be the same now!  But, I won't let this stop me - I will just be more aware of my surroundings and when the garden is overgrown - I will take my rake and move it around to see if it is safe to step into.

No comments:

Post a Comment