Total Pageviews

Getting Started

I decided to create this blog, to inform not only myself , but others about Aromatherapy, Herbs, Meditation, etc., and .....well, just to get on the right track.

Come and join me on this journey. To get back the health, spirit and well-being we once had
......or, that we want.

Together we can do many things.

Any suggestions you may have on articles, products, aromatherapy, herbs, meditation, relaxation, exercise, etc...please let me know so I can post them to share together, with you and others.

Have a blessed day,

Laurie




MORE PAGES TO READ


Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Saturday, January 31, 2015

1 yr Anniversary ~ Meat Free

My 1 year anniversary was 2 weeks ago, I have been total meat free, and have been following "The Pescetarian"way of eating, and must say I feel better than I've ever felt before. My good cholesterol is up and my bad is way down. My doctor was like, "I am not sure what you are doing, but it is working!" When I told him I took all red meats, chicken and pork out of my diet, he was very interested and made notes. He was pleased.....and that allowed me to know ~ I made the right choice.

My goal this year is to limit my sugar intake. (This will be a challenge) But, in the words of Barney Stinson, "Challenge Accepted!"

Just in case you are wondering:
What is a pescetarian?            

Definition: Pescetarian is a word sometimes used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. In other words, a pescetarian maintains a vegetarian diet with the addition of fish and other sea foods such as shrimp and lobster.

Although the word is not commonly used and a pescatarian is not technically a vegetarian, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.

Pescetarians believe that moderate consumption of fish or fish oils, which are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, is necessary for optimum health, although vegetarian alternatives, such as flax seed oil, are available. Please note* not all fish/seafood are good choices for Omega-3's - Here is a list composed of GOOD Choices based on study by USNH: 11 Best Fish/Seafood Choices for Omega 3's.

1.   Wild Salmon - better if from Alaska
2.   Arctic Char
3.   Atlantic Mackerel
4.   Sardines
5.   Sablefish/Black Cod
6.   Anchovies
7.   Oysters
8.   Rainbow Trout
9.   Albacore Tuna
10. Mussels
11. Pacific Halibut

So, is a pescetarian a vegetarian?

No. A pescetarian is not a vegetarian. To be 100% clear, a vegetarian Excludes all animals; and fish are animals. Therefore, a diet that includes fish, or a person who consumes fish cannot be properly called vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment